From the 15th to the 20th March 1885, Frederick Leach records that he was working at Wreay church. This work was the wall paintings in the semi-circular apse, probably commissioned by Rev James Arlosh, nephew of the original architect of the church in 1840-42 – Sarah Losh. James Arlosh was living in the family home, Woodside, which Leach also decorated.
The Carlisle Express and Examiner for the 26th September 1885 reported on the re-opening of the church at Wreay, stating:
‘The interesting church at Wreay, built some thirty years ago by Miss Losh of Woodside, will be reopened on Sunday next with a harvest thanksgiving. For some time past the church has been under the workmen’s hands. A new heating apparatus has been inserted by Messrs Haden of Manchester, and the interior has been painted and decorated by Leech [sic] of Cambridge, under the direction of Mr C. J. Ferguson. The very pretty churchyard has been laid out and walks formed round the church. The Lord Bishop of the Diocese will preach in the afternoon, the sermon commencing at 3 o’clock’.
Jenny Uglow, ‘The Apse Wall-paintings’ The Sarah Losh Journal vol 1 (2011)