St Cuthbert’s Carlisle

On 4th March 1885 Frederick Leach was at St Cuthbert’s church in Carlisle with the architect Charles Ferguson and he recorded the colours and the estimated costs of the various elements of planned decoration in his notebook. He was back there again, nearly a decade later, in January 1894, having met with Mr Ferguson about an estimate the day before.

The record office in Carlisle has an intriguing entry in its catalogue which states, ‘A design of entwined flowers, foliage, etc. in yellow and white [?a design for an altar frontal by C.J. Ferguson and stitched by F.R. Leach, art workman, Cambridge] n.d. circa 1885’.  Sadly, the design nor the reason for its attribution can be discovered.

See also

https://www.britainexpress.com/counties/cumbria/churches/carlisle-st-cuthbert.htm

 

Location

Center map
Traffic
Bicycling
Transit