Numbers 35 – 37 City Road, Cambridge, were once the workshops of F R Leach & Sons. Frederick purchased the site for £300 in 1862, including the three terraced houses that lined the street in front. The site had been a public house called ‘The Flower Pot’ with a large yard and archway already in place – ideal for development. When Frederick’s firm first moved in there was only one workshop at the back, but as the company grew in size and reputation other workshops were added. The style of the ‘shops’ were typical of those found behind many a house in Cambridge – with a brick base for stability and wooden cladding above – a vernacular building style that housed many of the City’s craftsmen and artisans.